Addictive Crispy Fried Shallots (Hanh Phi)
Crispy fried shallots are a staple across many Southeast Asian dishes. Being such a simple dish, there is no reason why this staple isn’t in your arsenal of core Asian ingredients. What this brings to each dish is a sweet, salty and crunchy that elevates every dish.
One of my favorite uses for crispy fried shallots is to top the classic Vietnamese beef pho or chicken pho. Sadly this is not a normal addition that restaurants bring out so you have to ask for it.
Perfect Dishes for Crispy Fried Shallots
- Banh Cuon
- Chicken / Beef Pho
- Vietnamese Fried rice
- Vietnamese rice noodle salad
You can easily find crispy fried shallots in any Asian grocery store but you miss out on one key thing, the flavored oil. When you make this at home, you get to reserve the infused oil for another dish and you can’t beat infused oils.
Another reason why this dish is always a keeper is
Crispy Fried Shallots
- 10 whole shallots thinly sliced
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- In a medium skillet or fry pan, add vegetable oil and set to medium heat
- Add in sliced shallots and fry until lightly golden brown. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- When lightly golden brown, remove and let rest and drain on a paper towel.
- When cooled, place in a air tight container and store for up to a week.